- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Grated Cracker Barrel Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp oregano, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sub buns
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 cups Galbani Pizza Mozzarella
- Sliced jalapenos
- White onion, Caramelized
- Fresh basil, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, Cracker Barrel Parmesan cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, egg, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Shape the meat mixture into 1 ½ oz meatballs. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, sear the meatballs on all sides. Reduce the heat and add the marinara sauce and cook for 10 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking baking, prepare the sub rolls. Slice them open lengthwise, but not all the way through.
- Place a few meatballs and sauce on one side of each roll. You can cut the meatballs in half for easier stacking if desired.
- Top the meatballs with the caramelized onions and jalapenos for a spicy kick. Add Galbani Pizza Mozzarella and place on a pan and broil until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Once done, remove the subs from the oven and let them cool slightly. Optionally, you can sprinkle some chopped fresh basil on top for added freshness and aroma.
Wet hands before forming your meatballs to prevent them from sticking to your hands. Keep dipping in water as they dry out to keep your hands tidy.
Make ahead: You can prepare the meatballs in advance and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This way, you can save time when assembling the subs.
Freezing meatballs: If you have leftover meatballs or want to make a larger batch for future use, you can freeze them. Allow the baked meatballs to cool completely, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Reheating meatballs: To reheat the meatballs, you can place them in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can gently heat them in a skillet with a little marinara sauce over medium heat until warmed.