Loaded with extra cheese, this Mexican-inspired quesadilla is easy to prep and delivers delicious results that are sure to please.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz (125 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, minced (1 tbsp/15 mL) adobo sauce)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Beatrice 18% Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest
- 1 cup (250 mL) Cracker Barrel Natural Cheddar Coloured Mild or Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded, divided
- 3 flour tortillas (7-inch/18 cm)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) diced jalapeño pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- Heat olive oil in skillet set over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until chicken is starting to brown. Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add onion, garlic and cumin to skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until veggies start to soften. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, chipotle, adobo sauce, lime juice and honey; bring to boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from pan; shred with 2 forks. Return to pan; cook over medium for 3 to 5 minutes or until very little liquid remains and sauce clings to chicken well. Let cool completely. Refrigerate chicken tinga mixture until ready to use.
- Stir together sour cream, cilantro and lime zest; transfer to portion serving cup. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup (60 mL) cheese over one tortilla. Top with half the chicken tinga mixture. Top with half each of the red pepper and jalapeño. Sprinkle with another 1/4 cup (60 mL) of cheese. Repeat layers. Cap with remaining tortilla.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook quesadilla for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut into 6 wedges. Serve with cilantro sour cream.
For a spicier version, substitute Black Diamond Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded with Hot Pepper for Cracker Barrel Natural Cheddar Coloured Mild or Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded.